Nashville’s Ultimate Guide for New Residents
Section 1: Dining
Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills are home to some of Nashville's best dining options. Whether you're in the mood for classic Southern cuisine or international flavors, you'll find something to suit your taste buds. Here are a few must-visit restaurants in each neighborhood:
- Belle Meade: The Belle Meade Plantation offers a dining experience like no other, with their on-site restaurant, Harding House. You can dine on their patio with great views of the estate, or inside in their comfortable and elegant dining room.
- Green Hills: Char is a steakhouse that offers premium cuts and other dishes for meat-lovers, while Little Octopus serves creative Caribbean-inspired cuisine in a bright and colorful setting. DoughBird is a brand new restaurant in Hill Center that you should absolutely visit - excellent food and ambience make for a great evening out.
Forest Hills: In this area, check out Table 3, which serves American cuisine with an emphasis on locally sourced ingredients, and The Perch, a popular spot for brunch with a stunning view of the city.
If you're a fan of shopping, you'll love exploring the boutiques and specialty stores in Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills. Each neighborhood has its own unique offerings, from luxury brands to independent retailers. Here are some of the top spots to check out:
- Belle Meade: The Belle Meade Plantation has a gift shop featuring unique souvenirs and gifts, including locally-made products.
- Green Hills: The Mall at Green Hills is a premier shopping destination in Nashville, with stores such as Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, and Tiffany & Co. There are also several independent boutiques in the area, such as Posh Boutique and H. Audrey.
Forest Hills: For upscale shopping, head to Hill Center, which features stores like Anthropologie and Whole Foods Market. There are also several specialty shops in the area, such as Parnassus Books and The Beaded Bungalow.
One of the biggest draws of Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills is the abundance of parks and recreational opportunities. Whether you're looking for a place to relax or get active, you'll find plenty of options in these neighborhoods. Here are a few of the top parks and recreational areas to explore:
- Belle Meade: The Warner Parks are a must-visit destination for nature lovers, with miles of hiking trails and scenic views. You can also enjoy a picnic or visit the stables to see the horses.
- Green Hills: The Green Hills Park offers a playground, walking paths, and a creek to explore. The nearby Richland Creek Greenway is also a great place for a bike ride or jog.
Forest Hills: The Radnor Lake State Park is a beautiful natural area that offers hiking trails, birdwatching, and fishing.
Nashville is known for its rich cultural and historical heritage, and Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills are no exception. Here are a few places to explore to get a sense of the area's past and present:
- The Belle Meade Plantation is a must-visit attraction, offering tours of the historic mansion and grounds, as well as a museum and gift shop. You can also take a wine tasting tour at the on-site Belle Meade Winery.
- The Frist Art Museum is a leading art institution in Nashville, with rotating exhibits featuring local and international artists. The Cheekwood Estate & Gardens is also a popular destination, featuring art exhibitions, botanical gardens, and historic architecture.
The Belle Meade Theatre Company and The Larry Keeton Theatre are both located in the area, offering live theater performances throughout the year.
For families with children, finding a good school district is a top priority. Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills all offer excellent public and private schools. Here are a few to consider:
- Belle Meade: The Metro Nashville Public Schools system includes several highly-rated schools in the Belle Meade area, including Julia Green Elementary School and Hillsboro High School. There are also several private schools in the area, such as Ensworth School and Montgomery Bell Academy.
- Green Hills: The Metro Nashville Public Schools system includes several highly-rated schools in the Green Hills area, including Percy Priest Elementary School and Hillsboro High School. There are also several private schools in the area, such as Harpeth Hall School and St. Paul Christian Academy.
Forest Hills: The Metro Nashville Public Schools system includes several highly-rated schools in the Forest Hills area, including Percy Priest Elementary School and Hillsboro High School. There are also several private schools in the area, such as Franklin Road Academy and Oak Hill School.
Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills are known for their high-end real estate options, featuring sprawling estates and luxury homes. Belle Meade is particularly known for its historic homes and large lots, while Green Hills features a mix of new construction and older homes that have been updated and modernized. In Forest Hills, residents can find large homes nestled among the rolling hills and wooded areas.
Belle Meade: Belle Meade is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Nashville, known for its historic mansions and large lots. Homes in Belle Meade typically start in the $1 million range and can go up to $20 million or more for some of the largest estates. Many of the homes in Belle Meade are on large, private lots with mature trees and lush landscaping, providing a peaceful oasis in the midst of the city.
Green Hills: Green Hills is an upscale neighborhood known for its luxury homes and high-end shopping options. Home prices in Green Hills range from around $700,000 to over $10 million, depending on the size and location of the property. Many of the homes in Green Hills feature modern amenities like open floor plans, gourmet kitchens, and spacious outdoor living areas.
Nashville can be a challenging city to navigate, especially during peak traffic hours. However, there are several transportation options available to new residents. Here are a few more ideas to consider:
- Consider using ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft to get around town, especially if you don't want to deal with the stress of driving in heavy traffic.
- Look into carpooling options if you work downtown or in a nearby office park. Many employers offer incentives for employees who carpool, and it's a great way to save on gas and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Check out local bike trails like the Richland Creek Greenway, which offers a scenic ride through the Belle Meade area.
Consider using the Nashville B-cycle bike sharing program, which has stations throughout the city and offers an affordable way to get around by bike.
Nashville is known for its vibrant music and entertainment scene, and there are numerous events and festivals throughout the year. Here are a few more ideas for events to check out:
- The Nashville Food & Wine Festival: This annual event features some of the best local chefs and restaurants, as well as wine and beer tastings.
- The Tennessee State Fair: This event is held annually in September and features carnival rides, games, and exhibits showcasing the best of Tennessee agriculture and industry.
The Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival: This event celebrates the blooming of the cherry trees in Nashville's Public Square Park and features live music, food vendors, and cultural demonstrations.
Access to quality healthcare is important for any community, and Nashville has some of the best healthcare providers in the region. Here are a few more healthcare providers to consider:
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a world-renowned healthcare system located in Nashville, and its children's hospital, Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, is located just a short drive from Belle Meade, Green Hills, and Forest Hills. The hospital offers comprehensive care for children, including specialized services like pediatric surgery, cardiology, and oncology.
- TriStar Centennial Medical Center: This hospital system has several locations in the Nashville area and offers a range of medical services, including cardiology, oncology, and women's health.
- The Nashville VA Medical Center: This medical center serves veterans in the Nashville area and offers a range of medical services, including primary care, mental health services, and specialty care.
Saint Thomas Midtown Hospital: This hospital is located in downtown Nashville and offers a range of medical services, including emergency care, orthopedics, and oncology.
Nashville is home to several sports teams and has numerous parks and outdoor recreational opportunities. Here are a few more ideas for sports and recreation activities to check out:
- The Nashville Sounds: This minor league baseball team plays at First Horizon Park in downtown Nashville and offers affordable family-friendly entertainment.
- The Nashville Soccer Club: This professional soccer team plays at Nissan Stadium and offers a fun and exciting way to enjoy the beautiful game.
The Nashville Predators: This professional hockey team plays at Bridgestone Arena and offers a fast-paced and exciting game to watch.
Moving to a new city can be both exciting and overwhelming, but Nashville is a city that has so much to offer. Whether you're interested in fine dining, shopping, music, food, sports, or outdoor recreation, there is something for everyone in Nashville. By familiarizing yourself with the neighborhoods, schools, and local amenities, you can make the most of your move and start enjoying everything this vibrant city has to offer.